Congratulations! You have probably hoped this time would come and now it’s here.
You are getting ready to become a wife and there’s so much to do! Before you allow yourself to get overwhelmed, make sure that you have your top priorities in order: your daily times set apart with God in prayer and reading the Bible, overall healthiness in what you eat and staying active physically, and keeping a big-picture perspective.
It’s really easy to drown in the details of wedding-planning and preparing for marriage, but make sure you remember what this is all about: making a covenant before God with a godly man to be faithful to God together and to one another.
We have put together some tips for your season of engagement. We hope it’s helpful and serves you well, not only for the big day, but mostly for your future marriage.
Books & Workbooks
- 101 Questions to Ask Before You Get Engaged by H. Norman Wright
- Before you say “I do”: A Marriage Preparation Manual for Couples by H. Norman Wright & Wes Roberts
- Seriously Dating or Engaged: A Premarital Workbook for Couples by Dr. Roger Tirabassi
- Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University Class
We encourage engaged couples to start reading and digesting the “sex books” about 2 months before the wedding. If there’s one book you read before you get married, this would be the one we recommend the most:
- Getting Your Sex Life Off to a Great Start: A Guide for Engaged and Newlywed Couples – Clifford L. Penner; Paperback
Another two very helpful books are:
- The Honeymoon of Your Dreams by Walt Larimore M.D. & Susan Crockett M.D.
- The Good Girl’s Guide to Great Sex: (And You Thought Bad Girls Have All the Fun) by Sheila Wray Gregoire
These are other great options:
- A Celebration of Sex for Newlyweds – Dr. Douglas E. Rosenau; Paperback
- His Brain, Her Brain: How Divinely Designed Differences Can Strengthen Your Marriage by Walt Larimore and Barb Larimore
- Intended for Pleasure: Sex Technique and Sexual Fulfillment in Christian Marriage by Ed Wheat M.D.
- Most Important Year in a Woman’s Life, The/The Most Important Year in a Man’s Life – Robert Wolgemuth
- The Act of Marriage: The Beauty of Sexual Love by Tim LaHaye
- Sexual Intimacy in Marriage – William Cutre
These are more great books on marriage:
- The Mystery of Marriage 20th Anniversary Edition: Meditations on the Miracle by Mike Mason
- Sacred Marriage: What If God Designed Marriage to Make Us Holy More Than to Make Us Happy by Gary Thomas
- The Book of Romance: What Solomon Says About Love, Sex, and Intimacy by Tommy Nelson
- The Meaning of Marriage: Facing the Complexities of Commitment with the Wisdom of God by Timothy Keller
- This Momentary Marriage: A Parable of Permanence by John Piper and Noël Piper
- Courtship After Marriage: Romance Can Last a Lifetime by Zig Ziglar